OLLI Registration & Refund Policies and the Standards of Conduct 2018-19
Session = winter/summer – 4 weeks
Semester = fall/spring – 14 weeks
As of November 1, 2019
Registration Policies & Expectations
Participation in OLLI is based on membership. Membership allows participation in a given number of study groups in a session/semester (varies by membership level) as well as lectures, workshops, enrichment opportunities and Northwestern benefits.
- You MUST be officially registered through the OLLI office for all study groups and bonus groups you attend. If you drop a study group or bonus group you must notify the OLLI office.
- Registration for study groups is on a first come, first served basis. If a study group is full, members will be placed on a waiting list and will be notified if a space becomes available. Should space become available, members will be added to a study group in the order in which they have been wait listed. There are no exceptions.
- If registering using the paper form, be sure to provide alternate study groups in case your preferred choice(s) is(are) unavailable.
- If registering using the paper form, include a personal check or credit card number (MasterCard, American Express, or Visa) and return the registration form to the OLLI office.
- Completed forms with credit card information attached cannot be accepted by email due to Northwestern University Policy, and must be dropped off, mailed, or faxed in to the OLLI office.
- Insufficient checks will be assessed a $50 charge.
- Late registration is subject to availability and will be assessed a $25 charge.
- Unless otherwise noted, you must be a current member of OLLI to register for OLLI events.
- Trial memberships are available only to new members and may be purchased only one time.
- If you are unsure of your plans for the year, we recommend that you purchase a half year membership, as refunds cannot be issued for unused membership benefits in any given session/semester.
- Please make your selections carefully. Changes to study group selections may ONLY be made by the OLLI office. Changes cannot be made during the first two weeks of registration. Changes may take up to one week to process and are subject to study group availability.
- Changes may only be made up to the end of the second week of the fall or spring semester or the first week of winter or summer session.
If you are unsure of your plans for the year, we recommend that you purchase a half year membership, as refunds cannot be issued for unused membership benefits in any given session/semester.
- The issuance of all refunds is at the discretion of the OLLI Director.
- If you are a new member and your membership started in the fall or spring semester, notify the OLLI Director in writing within two weeks of the start of the semester for a full or partial refund.
- If you are a new member and your membership started in the winter or summer session, notify the OLLI Director in writing within one week of the start of the session for a full or partial refund.
- Refunds cannot be issued for unused membership benefits in any given session/semester.
- Refunds cannot be issued for academic enrichment or social events, including but not limited to prepaid meals, theater tickets, and prepaid tours.
- Payments made by credit card will be refunded to the credit card that was used to pay for the transaction, no exceptions. Payments by check or cash will be refunded by check. Allow 4-6 weeks for processing.
Attendance Policies & Expectation
Membership of OLLI is based on the expectation that you will register for, attend, and participate in the number of study groups allowed with your membership type and based on the offerings in any given session/semester.
- Members who are unable to attend the first two weeks of the fall/spring semester are required to notify the study group coordinator of their absence, and (if possible) provide an expected date of return to the study group. Members who fail to notify their study group coordinator of their absence may be dropped from the study group at the end of week two.
- Members who are unable to attend the first week of the winter/summer session are required to notify the study group coordinator of their absence, and (if possible) provide an expected date of return to the study group. Members who fail to notify their study group coordinator of their absence may be dropped from the study group at the end of week one.
- Members who sign up for a study group and fail to attend at least half the scheduled sessions may be refused registration/membership in the future.
- If you require special accommodations, including the need to have your caregiver sit with you during class time, please contact the OLLI office prior to registration.
- RSVP carefully to events and workshops, understanding that while there may be costs associated with non-attendance to you, that these costs also adversely impact the program.
Standards of Conduct
As members of the Northwestern community, OLLI members are expected to behave with each other with civility and respect, recognizing that disagreement and informed debate are valued in an academic community. Demeaning, intimidating, threatening, or violent behaviors will not be tolerated. Such behavior could result in dismissal from the program.
The Northwestern University Student Handbook can be viewed at:
Northwestern’s policy on discrimination and harassment can be viewed at: