2021-2022 OLLI Registration, Refund, Standards of Conduct, Vaccination Attestation, COVID-19 Code of Conduct, Discrimination and Harassment Policies
Registration Policies & Expectations
Participation in the OLLI program is based on membership. Membership in OLLI allows you to join a given number of study groups in a session/semester (varies by membership level) as well as access lectures, workshops, enrichment opportunities and Northwestern benefits.
- You MUST be officially registered through the OLLI office for all study groups and bonus groups you attend. If you drop a study group or bonus group you must notify the OLLI office.
- Registration for study groups is on a first come, first served basis. If a study group is full, members will be placed on a waiting list and will be notified if a space becomes available. Should space become available, members will be added to a study group in the order in which they have been wait listed. There are no exceptions.
- We CANNOT accept registration by mail, email, phone, fax, or drop off.
- OLLI accepts credit card payments through our online registration system only. Visa, Mastercard, American Express, or Discover are accepted
- Unless otherwise noted, you must be a current member of OLLI to register for OLLI events.
- Trial memberships are available only to new members and may be purchased only one time.
- If you are unsure of your plans for the year, we recommend that you purchase a half year membership, as refunds cannot be issued for unused membership benefits in any given session/semester.
- Please make your selections carefully. Changes to study group selections may ONLY be made by the OLLI office. Changes cannot be made during the first two weeks of registration. Changes may take up to one week to process and are subject to study group availability.
- Changes may only be made up to the end of the second week of the fall or spring semester or the first week of winter or summer session.
UNUSED MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS: Refunds are NOT issued for unused membership benefits. If you are unsure of your plans for the year, we recommend that you purchase a half-year membership.
EVENTS: Refunds are NOT issued for academic enrichment or social events, including but not limited to prepaid meals, theater tickets, and prepaid tours.
EXTRAORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCES: Issuance of refunds for extraordinary circumstances are at the discretion of the OLLI Director.
METHOD: Qualifying refunds must be issued in the exact form as payment was made (i.e. to the same credit card that was used to pay for the transaction). No exceptions. Allow 12 weeks for processing.
NEW MEMBERS ONLY: If you participate in OLLI at Northwestern University for the first time and find that this program is not a good match for you, you may be eligible for a full or partial refund under the following circumstances:
- If you started in the fall or spring semester and you notify the OLLI Director in writing within two weeks of the start of the semester.
- If started in the winter or summer session and you notify the OLLI Director in writing within one week of the start of the session.
Attendance Policies & Expectation
Membership of OLLI is based on the expectation that you will register for, attend, and actively participate in the number of study groups allowed with your membership type and based on the offerings in any given session/semester.
- Members who are unable to attend the first two weeks of the fall/spring semester are required to notify the study group coordinator of their absence, and (if possible) provide an expected date of return to the study group. Members who fail to notify their study group coordinator of their absence may be dropped from the study group at the end of week two.
- Members who are unable to attend the first week of the winter/summer session are required to notify the study group coordinator of their absence, and (if possible) provide an expected date of return to the study group. Members who fail to notify their study group coordinator of their absence may be dropped from the study group at the end of week one.
- Members who sign up for a study group and fail to attend at least half the scheduled sessions may be refused registration/membership in the future.
- If you require special accommodations, including the need to have your caregiver sit with you during class time, please contact the OLLI office prior to registration.
- RSVP carefully to events and workshops, understanding that while there may be costs associated with non-attendance to you, that these costs also adversely impact the program.
Standards of Conduct
As members of the Northwestern community, OLLI members are expected to behave with each other with civility and respect, recognizing that disagreement and informed debate are valued in an academic community. Demeaning, intimidating, threatening, or violent behaviors will not be tolerated. Such behavior could result in dismissal from the program.
The Northwestern University Student Handbook can be viewed at:
During registration, OLLI members will be required to attest to being fully vaccinated and boostered.
[I hereby attest that I have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 with an FDA- or WHO-authorized vaccine and have also obtained a COVID-19 booster (by March 7, 2022, or 30 days after becoming eligible, whichever is later), or that I have one of the following two vaccine exceptions: a documented health condition or a sincerely held religious belief. If I have a vaccine exception, I commit to wearing a mask at all times while on campus and completing testing as required.]
Attestation is a legal acknowledgement of authenticity. At this time, proof of vaccination is not required, however proof of vaccination could be required in the future. All members will be required to attest even if they select only virtual study groups, as they could be on campus for programming or other services such as the University library.
Northwestern OLLI Member Expectations and COVID-19 Code of Conduct
The well-being of our Northwestern OLLI community is our highest priority. Northwestern OLLI has developed the following expectations for all OLLI members who return to campus or participate in any OLLI program (even remotely). Northwestern OLLI may modify these expectations at any time as guidance from federal, state, and local governments and/or the University evolves. Substantive modifications will be communicated to you. As a reminder, in addition to the expectations set forth below, all members are expected to follow policies applicable to members, including those contained in the NU Student Handbook and the OLLI program documentation.
I agree to the following:
- I will regularly monitor the University’s guidelines related to COVID-19 on the COVID-19 site and stay updated on any guidance provided by the University.
- While on campus I will abide by safety or hygiene standards recommended by Northwestern and any applicable agencies, including the Illinois Department of Public Health or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). For example, standards regarding social distancing, limiting gatherings, hand washing and sanitizing, and cleaning shared surfaces.
- I will wear a mask or face covering in all public and shared environments on campus and whenever required by the University, unless I have a medical condition that restricts my ability to do so. I understand that the face covering must meet guidelines from the CDC and Northwestern’s guidance.
- I understand that I may be asked to submit to COVID-19 testing and will comply with COVID-19 testing requirements and treatment recommendations.
- I will cooperate with any contact tracing efforts by the University.
- I will perform and document any self-monitoring or self-screening of health symptoms that the University asks me to complete, including monitoring my personal health daily and reporting any conditions as required by the University.
- I will participate in any additional health screening required by the University.
- I will immediately report any exposure to COVID-19 to the OLLI office, and will not participate in in-person OLLI activities until I am cleared by the University.
- I will follow the University’s guidelines on self-isolation and/or quarantining and any applicable guidelines or requirements from public health agencies, including any guidance regarding self-isolation and/or quarantining for individuals who have traveled outside of the United States and/or the State of Illinois.
- I will complete training programs related to COVID-19 provided by the University.
I have read and understand this summary of expectations and agree to follow all Northwestern University guidelines related to reducing the spread of COVID-19. If I do not follow these expectations, I may be referred to the OLLI office for follow up and the consequences of regular noncompliance may include removal from the OLLI program. I understand these expectations may change given the evolving nature of the pandemic. I further understand that if I have questions, I can raise them with the OLLI office and/or the appropriate University office.
I understand and acknowledge that while Northwestern is continuing to clean, sanitize, and engage in other best practices, and that Northwestern is continuing to follow the guidance of public health officials to help prevent the contracting and spread of COVID-19, much of the nature of the COVID-19 virus is still unknown (including potential long term health effects), and Northwestern cannot control risks associated with COVID-19 or guarantee that the campus (including any building) is free of the virus, or that I or my belongings will not be exposed to COVID-19, and that such exposure may result in illness and/or a disruption to my OLLI experience. I recognize that individuals with the following conditions may have a higher risk from COVID-19 infection: age 65 or older, HIV, asthma, chronic lung disease, diabetes, serious heart condition, chronic kidney disease being treated with dialysis, severe obesity, immunocompromised, and certain pregnancy related conditions. I also understand that information suggests there may be heart or lung complications affiliated with COVID-19. I understand that if I am diagnosed with COVID-19 or was in close contact with someone with COVID-19 I should seek consultation from a medical provider and receive medical clearance before returning to any OLLI activities.
I understand and acknowledge that OLLI is planning for many study groups and events to take place in person in the upcoming term, while some study groups will continue to be virtual. However, in-person study groups are dependent upon evolving health guidelines and space availability. Accordingly, if safety conditions change, some or all events may be cancelled or postponed, and in-person study groups may shift to virtual experiences. Such changes will be communicated to members by OLLI or the University. Membership dues and fees will not be refunded or prorated in these circumstances.
I understand and acknowledge that Northwestern may need to make additional sudden changes to the campus environment – including requiring members to leave campus.
I understand and acknowledge that I have informed awareness of these risks and share the responsibility for minimizing risk of exposure to and spread of COVID-19 to myself and others, and that I am voluntarily resuming my OLLI experience.
Northwestern's Policy on Discrimination and Harassment
Northwestern University does not discriminate or permit discrimination by any member of its community against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, parental status, marital status, age, disability, citizenship status, veteran status, genetic information, reproductive health decision making, or any other classification protected by law in matters of admissions, employment, housing, or services or in the educational programs or activities it operates. Harassment, whether verbal, physical, or visual, that is based on any of these characteristics is a form of discrimination. Further prohibited by law is discrimination against any employee and/or job applicant who chooses to inquire about, discuss, or disclose their own compensation or the compensation of another employee or applicant.
Northwestern University complies with federal and state laws that prohibit discrimination based on the protected categories listed above, including Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. Title IX requires educational institutions, such as Northwestern, to prohibit discrimination based on sex (including sexual harassment) in the University’s educational programs and activities, including in matters of employment and admissions. In addition, Northwestern provides reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants, students, and employees with disabilities and to individuals who are pregnant.
Any alleged violations of this policy or questions with respect to nondiscrimination or reasonable accommodations should be directed to Northwestern’s Office of Equity, 1800 Sherman Avenue, Suite 4-500, Evanston, Illinois 60208, 847-467-6165, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions specific to sex discrimination (including sexual misconduct and sexual harassment) should be directed to Northwestern’s Title IX Coordinator in the Office of Equity, 1800 Sherman Avenue, Suite 4-500, Evanston, Illinois 60208, 847-467-6165, TitleIXCoordinator@northwestern.edu.
A person may also file a complaint with the Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights regarding an alleged violation of Title IX by visiting www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/complaintintro.html or calling 800-421-3481. Inquiries about the application of Title IX to Northwestern may be referred to Northwestern’s Title IX Coordinator, the United States Department of Education’s Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, or both.
Avoiding Microaggressions. To reduce the possibility of unintended harm to fellow OLLI members and to help OLLI be fully inclusive, we encourage all members to educate themselves on microaggressions and be mindful of this information as they engage in OLLI classrooms. Microaggression education can be found in the Student Canvas site which all members are encouraged to review.